Thursday, April 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 131
Total: 131
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Dual Battery?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Dual Battery?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

Stock 2nd battery? That's neat

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Stock 2nd battery? That's neat

The Grand Cherokee with the V6 Pentastar engine has a 2nd battery due to the engine start/stop feature that can be disabled with a button push. It's most annoying so I push the button. When the time comes to replace batteries I'll upgrade them to better spec's.

Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

I have been running the Painless waterproof dual battery system using an optima D34/78 (yellow top) battery which SDHQ installed in my FJ about 9 years ago. NO issues what so ever other than I recently replaced the battery with the same about a few weeks ago when Amazon had them really cheap. Painless system has rubber boots to cover the fuse area. I took one off (engine bay) so you can see and left the other on in the picture where my other fuses are located in the rear compartment so you have an idea of what the rubber boot sorta looks like.

I have used the system to run my ARB fridge, Winch (cables not in the pictures) and to jump start myself when my main battery failed on me as well as run my accessories.

Regardless of the system I would have SDHQ do the work. The attention to details like running new battery cabling system, custom mounts for the system, welded a terminal to the chassis for the negative cable and then running a separate constant 12 V line along with the regular power line for my accessories and fridge is awesome. Here are some pictures for now even though I need to do some cleaning.

Would I do anything different? Use a custom switch system vs painless switch system that came with the kit as the LED lights are too bright for where I have them located on the lower AC silver panel cover. Also the extra cost of the waterproof painless system vs regular wiring is probably not worth it. The ECU would be damaged before I have to worry about the wiring and besides I would have other problems.

here are some pictures

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

wow, nice Speedy.
how much did that cost you out the door with SDHQ?

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

It was a long time ago but I recall it wasn't all that bad considering the cost of the optima battery at the time, the custom mount for the battery, bracket for the painless system, welding the connection to the chassis for a solid ground and all the custom length battery cables which doesn't include the wires. This is one mod I would just have SDHQ do.
Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

Update: I just visited SDHQ on Saturday to order some stuff. The new location has a lot of inventory on the shelf for the DIY. They even have some cool battery holders as well as the one I have.I really liked the Skull version but check them out. Maybe you can just buy all the parts and save on the install.
Oliver
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery? Reply with quote

I was gonna do this unless a Luna kit pops up for a good price

www.fjcruiserforums.co...ttery.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: