Thursday, August 17, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 84
Total: 84
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th!
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Eagerly awaiting pictures.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
sschaefer3
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

The trail was actually quite difficult. It has changed a great deal after the fire.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Pics and write up coming tonight... Trail has drastically changed and is significantly more challenging now

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

How did the camp spot work out Question
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

tanman wrote:

It was taken, so we actually went all the way up to Aztec Peak. Amazing camp spot up there on the plateau!

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
tanman wrote:

It was taken, so we actually went all the way up to Aztec Peak. Amazing camp spot up there on the plateau!

The view on top is spectacular.

From what I previously saw at the beginning of the trail I think it might rate a 4.0. What do you think?

And post pics of course. Cool Probably on the review page anyway.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Yup, I will post those tomorrow and update on this run as well as the trail page. Completely different trail now

For sure a minimum 3.0, but more likely a 3.5.
In weather, would be undoable

sschaefer3
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
Yup, I will post those tomorrow and update on this run as well as the trail page. Completely different trail now

For sure a minimum 3.0, but more likely a 3.5.
In weather, would be undoable

Probably a 3.5, very heavy pinstripe and many many log rolling around to deal with. One or two lockers a must.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

This was an Amazing Adventure!

As mentioned, the trail is COMPLETELY different - where before the fire it was probably a 2.0, this is now a 3.5. It was very challenging and technical and as always, an adventure!

We started out at around 10am on the trail and didnt get down until about 4pm.

As Tan Man mentioned, we immediately encountered a new boulderfield.

We made our way up the mountain navigating numerous rock obtacles, boulders, SEVERE rut outs, etc... Many areas required us to stop and saw trees, or at one point, even which a large boulder out of the way.

This trail required constant attention and diligence and has to use all the tools of the FJ - skids, atrac, lockers, etc...

Going forward, I would say this trail requires at least one locker, atrac, skids, sliders, and minimum 33's

When you get near the top, there are two sections with massive tree falls. Both of which required making a new trail and going around.

We did make it to the top and of course saw the tractor and the shafts! Well worth the adveture for sure.

Aftewards, we made our way back down, whih while not quite as difficult, was still of course a bit reacherous.

Bucketboy was in a bit over his head and did have to get winched (Duner has those pics), but did amazingly well considering how challenging this trail was.

Afterwards, we made our way up towards Workman Creek and climbed all the way to the top of Aztec Peak to get out of the heat! Was beautiful up there (mid 70's and in the 50's over night!) at 8000' and we found an incredible camp spot with 360' views and rock furniture.

Home made jerk chicken for dinner and sausage egg and cheese burritos for breakfast! Smile

On the way out, we did stop at the falls.

All Paths lead to the FJ...

We finished by heading back down 288 and taking a slight detour onto 488, to drive to the edge of the canyon and get amazing views of Roosevelt. This is an amazing camp spot for cooler weather.

Oh, an there was a Tibaal sighting....

Rest of the Album:
s1076.photobucket.com/...une%202017

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

A most excellent write up zzmikey

I noticed plenty of shots posing with the first obstacle (the rock). I'm wondering what the chosen path was for the rocky section that I zoomed in on just beyond that first one Question
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

tanman wrote:
A most excellent write up zzmikey

I noticed plenty of shots posing with the first obstacle (the rock). I'm wondering what the chosen path was for the rocky section that I zoomed in on just beyond that first one Question

most of that first section was riding the rocks on the left hand side with your driver's tire. That was probably the most technical part of the "new" trail. I can see why you were a little hesitant to go by yourself. The rest of the trail wasn't quite as bouldery, but was more tricky in terms of trying to navigate around a fallen log, while your tire was dipping off the ledge, or straddling a giant rut out, while trying to ensure you didn't hit boulders that was sticking up.

Was quite a fun and challenging trail, definitely and absolutely not for a newbie or stock truck any more.

really appreciate all your help and scouting every time I need your help Smile

duner
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Was a blast, and yes its doable just need to take your time. Aztec Peak gave us a gorgeous view of the stars. Counted several falling stars! I posted a video on youtube if you want to see. My channel is fjduner.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Great video Mike!

Here is the link to it:
youtu.be/UfEbrSffuhI

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: