Saturday, April 21, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 93
Total: 93
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29 Reply with quote

This is one of the best trails in the Sierra Anchas ( especially now that Cherry Creek is partially closed ) but it took some fairly serious damage during the rains last year. Fortunately TRAL has agreed to take a look and try to make some repairs. If anyone is interested in helping they would definitely welcome the assistance. It would be a fun way to see what they do as well ( and get out of the desert heat this weekend ). This won't be 8 hours of back breaking labor, just do what you can. The goal is to get the trail passable all the way up to the mine at the top. Items to bring include electric or gas saws, gloves, shovels, buckets, etc.

We will be meeting here at 9 AM on Saturday 4/29:

Miami Fry's Fuel Center
2115 US 60
Miami, AZ 85539

Some pictures of the trail:

offroadpassport.com/fo...php?t=4979
azfj.org/index.php?nam...pic&t=5574

If you plan on coming please post up.

Thanks,

Owen
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29 Reply with quote

As the originator of the AZFJ Trail Review thread on the Asbestos Mine I definitely wish them luck in making it passable again.

But, looking at the photos of the damage it looks like a job for heavy equipment. Does anyone know if the TRAL group has the equipment for this?
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29 Reply with quote

We won't be bringing in any heavy equipment ( at least not this time ). I think this will be about scoping out the entire trail if possible, cutting downed trees, jack hammering and towing rocks out of the way, and then stacking enough rocks and dirt into the large holes to at least make it passable by a modified 4x4. It might not go back to being a stock friendly trail but hopefully we can get it to where you don't need a rock buggy.

Last edited by swtribal on Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29 Reply with quote

Any updates on the 4/29 gathering?
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Mine TRAL repair run 4/29 Reply with quote

tanman wrote:
Any updates on the 4/29 gathering?

It was a success. I updated the trail review thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: