Sunday, April 30, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 55
Total: 55
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Cherry Creek Rd
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Cherry Creek Rd
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GillT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone is interested it driving cheery creek rd in April/May? It is a trail I have wanted to take for a long time, from Lake Roosevelt up to Young (or reverse). I understand the scenery to be beautiful.

It was reviewed along time ago by our non club...
Trail Review

I am looking for someone with experience with this trail as well as some suggested dates so that I can put it on my calendar.

A highly dangerous virus called "Weekly Overload Recreational Killer" (WORK) is currently going around. If you come in contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest BAR for "Biological Anxiety Relief".
duner
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

Good chance, we have done it, maybe a camping trip is in order? Early for me to commit to a date but I will watch this! Did you get the truck fixed?
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

There is a pretty severe washout on the shelf road on lowere cherry creek road. I've heard they stopped doing maintenance on the road. I'd be curious if it's passable.
GillT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

duner wrote:
Good chance, we have done it, maybe a camping trip is in order? Early for me to commit to a date but I will watch this! Did you get the truck fixed?

I thought the wheel locker was broken and not engaging. Everything checked out. I just need to add some differental lockers. I am not sure what type I want to put in. ARB air lockers are all bit pricey. I probably can get away with something a little cheaper. I expect to have a locker in one of my axles the beginning of April.

A highly dangerous virus called "Weekly Overload Recreational Killer" (WORK) is currently going around. If you come in contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest BAR for "Biological Anxiety Relief".
GillT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

nimrag wrote:
There is a pretty severe washout on the shelf road on lowere cherry creek road. I've heard they stopped doing maintenance on the road. I'd be curious if it's passable.

So you are saying we need to bring shovels to make it through? Sounds like a challenge. Laughing I also understand that they stopped doing maintenance. I need to do some research. This trip is only an idea at this point. Thanks for the heads up. I found a reference from October 2016 of a 30' washout 3 to 4' deep.

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

This one kinda washes out the shelf road. It would be hard to fill in, it would just fall into the abyss, below the shelf.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

Plenty of folks have said it is not longer passable. If you come from the south going north you should be able to do most of the trail. Last fall we tried to find the spot coming in from the north but I gave up after a few miles. So you should be able to plan an out and back trip. Again someone may have better info. I had a waypoint from someone but it was not where the washout was.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

Bring your bulldozer and dynamite to make a new road in the hillside.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
azviajero
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

I did it in March, 2016. From Young to Roosevelt. A couple of tricky spots, but nothing major. This past year has seen some events in the area (fire and wetter than normal), but unless these events have created some major deterioration, I don't seen a huge problem getting through.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek Rd Reply with quote

azviajero wrote:
I did it in March, 2016. From Young to Roosevelt. A couple of tricky spots, but nothing major. This past year has seen some events in the area (fire and wetter than normal), but unless these events have created some major deterioration, I don't seen a huge problem getting through.

Those are the perfect combination of events to destroy the road. As was mentioned earlier, go check it out but plan to turn around after taking pictures.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: