Sunday, August 20, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 56
Total: 56
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Grinding Noise at Full Turn
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Grinding Noise at Full Turn
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

I've noticed a grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the wheel wells when turning sharply both right and left. It's much more defined when making a left turn but noticeable on rights as well.

Sounds kind of like a gentle version of the noise my 86 Buick Regal (first car) made when I ran the break pads down to the rotors. Much less pronounced but certainly seems like metal grinding.

I only notice it on sharp corners with the wheels turned as far as they'll go. No signs of rubbing anywhere in the wheel well upon visual inspection.

What additional info might be needed to take a guess at a forum diagnoses? Stock wheels & stock size tires, CV axles replaced just over a year ago, Radflo shocks, Total Chaos UCAs. Possible that I just need some grease or indicative of a costly problem?

noxious1
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing...turned out to be one of the tabs on the plastic wheel well pieces had come loose and at full turn it was catching this piece of plastic...it was worse in reverse

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

noxious1 wrote:
Mine does the same thing...turned out to be one of the tabs on the plastic wheel well pieces had come loose and at full turn it was catching this piece of plastic...it was worse in reverse

I've removed the fender flares entirely from the front end. Was it plastic associated with those or something farther in?

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be time for a new rack and pinion.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
Sounds like it might be time for a new rack and pinion.

that was my thought.. though the grinding noise was a perplexing element, but maybe the seals are bad and there is debris in the rack...

anyways I might suggest this shop for the rack:
www.azfj.org/index.php...ic&t=12267

if you need a whole new one they will let you know.. or like they did for me. put some new seals in and called it a good day.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

grinding noise on sharp turns sounds like wheel bearings need to be closely inspected. First rule out any rubbing, this can happen over time as bushings begin to wear out allowing the wheel to shift a little more under load. If it's not rubbing anywhere though, I'd check bearings REALLY well.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Are there any other signs of either of these maladies?

If the rack & pinion would need to be replaced, what other signs might there be?

Same question for the wheel bearings.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
Are there any other signs of either of these maladies?

If the rack & pinion would need to be replaced, what other signs might there be?

Same question for the wheel bearings.

jack up the wheel and with the tire on, spin it. is there any noise (a low growl)? Also firmly grab the wheel and see if there is ANY slop when trying to twist side to side and up/down. Sometimes the first signs are the noise during a turn since the weight of the vehicle is trying to push the bearing out of it's plane of rotation.

if it make the noise while the vehicle is stopped, then probably not the bearings.

Still could be a rub somewhere, check for shiney spots on the CV boots and axles, as well as the sway bar (if still in place).

While the wheel is up, may as well check your CV's for slop as well.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Shake down...
Jack up front.
With wheel off ground.
Hands at 12 and 6 push in on 12 out on 6 then repeat but alternate push pull. If there is play=wheel bearing
Now 9 and 3 do the same thing if there is play it in steering.

azfj owners are the best
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

^^ this
youtu.be/6M2D_XtuXZQ?t=52

or this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=brI2feYiEi8
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

I can't see why a wheel bearing would give you a sound, dependably, when the steering is at full lock as opposed to a variety of situations, but it's possible.

If you jack up the vehicle, you unload the suspension and the potential for contact is changed so don't rule out a rub based on evaluation you do on jack stands.

The common contact point is where a body mount chop eventually gets done. At the aft end of the wheel well, there's a body mount bracket and the plastic mud flap wraps around it, bulging into the wheel space. It rubs on that bulge if it's going to rub on anything, and it will happen at full lock left on the driver's side or full lock right on passenger, or both. It may be close enough that if you get out and look, it's not touching, but when you add your own weight back in, it touches, or it may require a slight suspension jounce.

Depending on which "stock wheel" (there's more than one) and how your suspension is sitting, you can get to the rub with suspension lift and aftermarket UCAs, although most people don't have anything they notice till they go up a tire size or so.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
noxious1
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
noxious1 wrote:

I've removed the fender flares entirely from the front end. Was it plastic associated with those or something farther in?

no it wasnt the fender flares, it was one of those random pieces of plastic in the wheel well. It didn't look like it would rub when just looking at it so I had to have my kid stand beside the truck to diagnose it

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

noxious1 wrote:
Splagg wrote:
noxious1 wrote:

no it wasnt the fender flares, it was one of those random pieces of plastic in the wheel well. It didn't look like it would rub when just looking at it so I had to have my kid stand beside the truck to diagnose it

at least it was an easy cheap fix.
Smile

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding Noise at Full Turn Reply with quote

But the diag took for ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: