Monday, April 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 29
Total: 30
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: JustinD > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Electrical issues - need help diagnosing
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Electrical issues - need help diagnosing
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I ran into a strange electrical issue today and I'm not sure what to make of it. When I got in this morning, the trip meters and clock were reset as if I unplugged the battery. I reset the time and backed out of the driveway, noticing that my reverse lights didn't come on. Drove to work with no issues, headlights on (more on that in a second). got to work and the key fob would not lock the doors. Locked the doors manually thinking maybe it's just a key fob battery issue. After work, I get in the truck and it starts right up. Trip meter and clock are reset again just like this morning. Then I go to turn the headlights off that were on when I went to work. As soon as I turn the headlights off, the clock goes completely blank, no power. I turn the lights on and the clock comes back but very dim, even dimmer than normal night time operation. Yesterday I took my headliner down to put sound dampening material on the roof, but I didn't touch anything electrical except disconnecting the dome lights. I can't imagine that would have any effect on anything. Could it just be a dying battery? It seems like a lot of unrelated items but the truck starts right up and runs great. Any ideas??
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Check battery and also charging

azfj owners are the best
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Did you reconnect the dome light?

Pinch a wire?

AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Ok I'll get the battery checked. I really hope it's something that simple.

I did reconnect the dome light and I don't believe I pinched any wires. But if I did, would that wire affect just the clock, odometer, reverse lights and my remote key locks?
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Start with the simple checks first. Did you check all fuses in both fuse boxes?

TLCA# 18990
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

No, I haven't checked either fuse box. Hopefully I can do that tonight. That would be nice if it was just a couple of burned out fuses. But do I need to worry about what caused them to blow so it doesn't happen again right when I turn the car on? I guess if it does then I definitely know where the problem lies huh?
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

if you do find a bad fuse... possible answer to a mystery fuse gone bad...

fuse fatigue
electronics.stackexcha...-a-concern

www.matec-conferences...._04024.pdf

plenty of reading on the topic.
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Ok I just checked both fuse boxes and no signs of a burned out fuse.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

When I had all my alternator trouble, it turned out to be that 120 amp fuse in the engine Fusebox. Didn't look burned out, but if I shined a flashlight way in there you could see the melted element. Mine was caused by a shorted brake light circuit. BUt I had way wierder issues, like no spedo, christmas tree lights on the dash, radio station loss, etc. But it still ran and drove.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Ok I am a dumbass. It was a blown fuse. Just a little 10A fuse for the dome light caused all of those issues. I never would have guessed so much was controlled by the dome light! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the help! I should have thoroughly checked before bothering everyone with this.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

Well done sir

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

No bother at all.... its always the little shit

azfj owners are the best
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:

Yeap! One little turd in the punch bowl ruins the whole party.
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues - need help diagnosing Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
glideraz wrote:

Yeap! One little turd in the punch bowl ruins the whole party.

Lol! I like that. Sums it up perfectly
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: