Monday, December 11, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AzRon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1993

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 101
Total: 101
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Ran this yesterday with a few people and think this may be considered a 3.0 for now. There were a few parts that have been washed out a bit, large loose boulders in the path and a few more fun parts. A stock FJ with A-trac or locker and AT tires can make it with careful lines but expect some pinstriping and belly scratches. I wouldn't recommend doing this full stock anytime after a good rain, you are going to slide into/onto a rock. There are a couple of places where a large (huge even) boulder has fallen creating a choke point between it and a tree or the embankment - just wide enough for an FJ but if you aren't paying close attention, expect rim rash. Don't expect to make it with an RTT! Roof-racks with standard lights were ok but really close getting under the fallen tree. Overall a fun drive to awesome views and fun exploring (if you're into mineshafts and don't screw with the asbestos seam exposed inside - it will fray into micro fibers at the slightest touch in some places).

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

We drove out to the trail around Sep 2016 and found a HUGE washout about a mile in. We were loaded down with camping gear so we didn't attempt any bypasses. Has anyone been out since?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

How bad was the burnout up there?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

The burned area hadn't reached any of the trail that we could see but it might have caused erosion problems that lead to the washout. From where we stopped you could see at least 100 yds where the trail had turned into a new rocky wash. It looked like a good 3.5+ difficulty. We met a hunter in a Rhino who was scouting a way through and thought he might be able to get around by using the wash ( just below the road ) but we turned around.
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

TRAL was able to repair the washout as well as get allot of branches and downed trees removed from the trail. There was one larger tree that was still laying across the road near the top at the end of the day but a local who was there said he was going to come back with a chainsaw and remove it. This trail should now be passable. It is a solid 3.0 though. High clearance, good offroad tires and at least one locker are recommended.

Last edited by swtribal on Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

swtribal wrote:
TRAL was able to repair the washout as well as get allot of branches and downed trees removed from the trail. There was one larger tree that was still laying across the road near the top but a local who was there that day said he was going to come back with a chainsaw and remove it. This trail should now be passable. It is a solid 3.0 though so high clearance, good offroad tires and at least one locker are recommended.

awesome! might try to go back and do the trail sometime in the summer - i will bring my saw and winch and shovel with me Smile

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

I'm in for that one!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
swtribal wrote:
TRAL was able to repair the washout as well as get allot of branches and downed trees removed from the trail. There was one larger tree that was still laying across the road near the top but a local who was there that day said he was going to come back with a chainsaw and remove it. This trail should now be passable. It is a solid 3.0 though so high clearance, good offroad tires and at least one locker are recommended.

awesome! might try to go back and do the trail sometime in the summer - i will bring my saw and winch and shovel with me Smile

IN

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

No lift here, but I might check it out sometime anyway.

Whoever goes first be sure to post pics
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Tentatively looking at an August 12 run, or a weekend in June.

I will post it up

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Myself, wife, and dogs took a scouting/picnic to view the repairs made to the trail yesterday. I'm including the link posted previously showing the "before" pictures, and I'm posting my own pictures showing the "after". I think the TRAL group did an outstanding job considering no bulldozer was involved. If non-members considered this a 3.0 before the burn/flooding, then it's probably a 3.5 now.

offroadpassport.com/fo...php?t=4979

The first repair is approximately 1 mile from pavement. That's as far as I'm going with a stock FJ, no spotter, and lacking $40,000 cash for a new 4Runner.

First up is the not too dangerous "easy" part of the trail below the burn/flood damage.

Next is the first part of the "after" for comparison to the linked site and their "before" pictures. It's obvious that lots of hard work went into their repairs. They widened the walls of the erosion cut probably filling in with the removed dirt. Ther's a large sharp rock where my dogs are that could do some nasty damage to a truck body, but there's plenty of roon for an FJ to pass. The large rock in the foreground shows evidence of a vehicle dragging over it.

Then there's then view beyond the sharp rock. There's more rocks requiring careful navigation, but the worst is yet to come at the top of the picture.

This next section has the potential a time consuming recovery and costly repairs. Both of those are major turn offs for me, so I'm not going there. Again, take a look at the full size pic (linked below) and zoom for a close up on what I'm going to talk about. I do realize this is probably a piece of cake for the truly hardcore among us, but I wouldn't feel right not warning folks.

You've got to choose your line wisely of course, no novice spotters. Towards the top of this obstacle are two rocks sticking out on the right. Regardless of lift, due to the size of the boulders in the trail, tires will have to go left of the first of those rocks sticking out of the bank.The next one, nicely squared, fairly flat, is narrow on top. I don't see an option for missing it by going left. You'll be sitting on a boulder. If somebody has that much clearance post a pic as you pass through this. So, you've got to track over it. The problem I see is without lockers on both ends, there is potential for sliding left against the flat face of this rock. That's just an ugly place to get stuck and crunch a truck. Your mileage may vary.

In retrospect, looking at the picture again, you might be able to go over the boulder to the left of the squared off rock, and with enough clearance avoid damage. POST PICTURES. Cool

www.azfj.org/index.php...fullsize=1

Next is the lovely view of the passable boulder field that follows. That's as far as I walked, and who knows, this might be the worst obstacle on the newly remodeled Asbestos Point Trail.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

SWEET!! Thanks so much Tanman! Always appreciate you being our "Scout" for this trail.

I am going to post up a run for June 17th

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

TRAIL UPDATE

We visited the trail in June, 2017.

This was an Amazing Adventure!

As mentioned, the trail is COMPLETELY different - where before the fire it was probably a 2.0, this is now a 3.5. It was very challenging and technical and as always, an adventure!

We started out at around 10am on the trail and didnt get down until about 4pm.

As Tan Man mentioned, we immediately encountered a new boulderfield.

We made our way up the mountain navigating numerous rock obtacles, boulders, SEVERE rut outs, etc... Many areas required us to stop and saw trees, or at one point, even which a large boulder out of the way.

This trail required constant attention and diligence and has to use all the tools of the FJ - skids, atrac, lockers, etc...

Going forward, I would say this trail requires at least one locker, atrac, skids, sliders, and minimum 33's

The beginning boulder field (almost as soon as you start the trail) is the most technical part of the "new" trail. The rest of the trail wasn't quite as bouldery, but was more tricky in terms of trying to navigate around a fallen log, while your tire was dipping off the ledge, or straddling a giant rut out, while trying to ensure you didn't hit boulders that was sticking up.

Was quite a fun and challenging trail, definitely and absolutely not for a newbie or stock truck any more

When you get near the top, there are two sections with massive tree falls. Both of which required making a new trail and going around.

We did make it to the top and of course saw the tractor and the shafts! Well worth the adveture for sure.

Aftewards, we made our way back down, whih while not quite as difficult, was still of course a bit reacherous.

Bucketboy was in a bit over his head and did have to get winched (Duner has those pics), but did amazingly well considering how challenging this trail was.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND UPDATING THE MAIN POST AND CHANGING THE TRAIL RATING TO AT LEAST A 3.0, OR EVEN A 3.5

Rest of the Album:
s1076.photobucket.com/...une%202017

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Great report! Fine pictures too. Where did you camp?

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Top of Aztec Peak - AMAZING camp spot. the post about the run has the info and pictures.

wide open plateau at 8000' with 360' views and someone had set up rock "furniture" - recliners, table, firepit, etc...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: