Sunday, September 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Richie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1971

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 34
Total: 34
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PureStreet
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

PureStreet wrote:
Just checked my travel schedule and I won't be getting home until the morning of the 20th so I'm out.

Luckily, that's my last travel weekend for the year so hopefully I get get out with you guys more often after that.

Traveling for work Sad
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

I should so be going on this its huge on my check list! But responsible me says complete my cardio rehab 1st. Dang it Sad Have fun be safe post pictures!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

What a great day!
Two near death experiences
Two rashes rockrail
1 broken RAM mount

Not much water there

You missed out on a beautiful day

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

pics or it didnt happen

what were the two near death experiences?

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

One on the "Unsurvivable" Obstacle, where my R tire was to far over, and I stalled, and teetered there for several minutes. (Sorry, everyone including me was freaking out so no picture)

One on the big gully washed out hill just past the Bumper Eater obstacle. Again, I couldn't see where my tires were, and fell into the gully 3/4 of the way up.

Recovered myself both times. No spotter to blame, All me. I don't think Spock wants to ride anymore.

No straps were harmed or used in this evolution. However, several sets of underwear were consumed.

Great day though. Not much water.
s1287.photobucket.com/...Gap%202016

Our new friend Bill, with a 2015 rubicon. He showed up at the trail head and asked if he could tag along. HECK YEAH!

FAIL - Still had my Pintle hitch on. Dummy.

Almost -But Hit the spare

Unsurvivable

Ken had NO issue, and even came around twice

Almost the last picture of Jimbolio's Precious before it was on it's roof. (But it didn't happen, and no one had time for pictures). My R tire was too far R on the high rock, As I almost flipped, It stalled, and in my panic I couldn't start it (Because it was in gear). Once I calmed down, and put it in neutral, It started, then I had steering, and I turned Driver and rolled slowly back into true. Must have looked great though. (oh, and it Happened, even though...)

Oh Sure the Strait Axle guy get's a spot. Sad

The Geologic Gap

So many washouts!

The Car Wash

Cornado Camp - The descent into the wash was pretty torn up and required a spot

The "Steps" - We met some dudes in Tacos coming up the Gap descent road with one having a blown front diff from attempting this. Needless to say, we didn't.

The BUMPER EATER
This is where ZZMikey got hung up before. More washed out now, Staying left still worked. (Tires on the rocks).

That big rock on the Right is the actual Bumper eater. (Spock standing under it) If you try to go L around that middle of the trail boulder, the loose rock slides your bum right into that big rock.

UGH- That's gonna leave a mark.

Every Rock was trying to kill me

Key is to Stay Right. Way Right

Nice

This Rocky face was scary, but doable.

The Escalator

All in all a long (9.5 hours) but very fun day.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Awesome guys!!!!
Glad you all made it!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

9.5 hours!! Holy cow.

I know exactly the spit you at talking about Jim - that washout is where Jeebus and I decided to turn around the one and only time we didn't finish the trail. That spit can be terrifying depending how Washed out it is (ask the Gliders)

Glad everyone is safe and no one broke!

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

It was so long because we were doing a Trails Offroad documentation run. Had to stop at every road intersection and take pictures, document mileage etc. You would be astounded at how many roads intersect USFS 736 (Charlou Gap tr)

I think this is the first report I've seen in a while (Since the big rains anyway) that a end to end navigation has been completed. (It can be done, but it's tricky). Definitely not by yourself (You need spotter help) and not without Sliders (You have to bounce around on them)

When I do this again, I'll have the "ROLL OVER DANGER" spots marked out so that we can set spotters out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: