Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 33
Total: 34
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: duner > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › CV Joints vs. Half-shafts?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
CV Joints vs. Half-shafts?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

Seems like I read a post about this sometime back, but apparently I don't know how to effectively search here anymore.

I seem to recall some people saying that with CV boots, there's lots of labor, and little in parts... whereas with half shafts, labor is less and parts more... net effect being similar in cost?

If you've replaced CV Joints, did you OEM or Moog... or perhaps something else?

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

Yes been down this path. Replacing the boots is a messy PITA. I was skeptical of using a non-OEM parts and their longevity. I ended up using O'Reilly's MasterPro (i believe it was) lifetime warranty shafts. They have held up great. One boot got torn when a branch stabbed it. Pulled the axle and they exchanged it with no issues.

I can swap an axle in about 20 mins.. Ive got it down to a science! Laughing

TLCA# 18990
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

Progolfer_20 and I took 1.5 hours at Summit X, but it was a field swap with trail tools.

We did use your cable extraction technique Toyo22R

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
Yes been down this path. Replacing the boots is a messy PITA. I was skeptical of using a non-OEM parts and their longevity. I ended up using O'Reilly's MasterPro (i believe it was) lifetime warranty shafts. They have held up great. One boot got torn when a branch stabbed it. Pulled the axle and they exchanged it with no issues.

I can swap an axle in about 20 mins.. Ive got it down to a science! Laughing

Thanks. Is your vehicle lifted? I've read that some (NAPA specifically) half shafts have 3 rather than the 6 ?? that the factory CV joints have. Someone apparently had a NAPA unit seize on a lifted FJ?

ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Progolfer_20 and I took 1.5 hours at Summit X, but it was a field swap with trail tools.

Cable extraction technique?

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

Yes, lifted Icon front, MetalTech LT in the rear.

Instead of trying to pry the inner tulip joint from the front diff i use a thin cable with a clamp to make a noose around the end of the axle. Then the other end of the cable another noose that goes around the head of a 10lb sledge. I am essentially making a slide hammer. Two good pulls and it pops right out.

TLCA# 18990
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
ArizonaMitch wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

Yes, lifted Icon front, MetalTech LT in the rear.

Instead of trying to pry the inner tulip joint from the front diff i use a thin cable with a clamp to make a noose around the end of the axle. Then the other end of the cable another noose that goes around the head of a 10lb sledge. I am essentially making a slide hammer. Two good pulls and it pops right out.
Works like a charm (thank you by the way)

azfj owners are the best
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

I gave all my cable arrangements away to those that helped me. One day, I'll make one for myself. And keep it. Yes, 3-5 whacks with a 5# hammer on the outside loop pops the C clip right out of the differential housing. I think the whole setup cost about $4 at Ace hardware.

Here's an potential better solution to the metal cable and clamps setup.
www.southeastoverland....&Itemid=33

Southeast Overland wrote:

CV axles on vehicles such as FJ cruisers and Tacomas are notoriously hard to remove. This tool is spliced at Southeast Overland out of synthetic winch line so they are stronger than steel cable and much more flexible and easier to use. These store easily in your tool bag and have been tested in house.
To use, slide noose around the inside of the axle and securely cinch tight. Place a hammer (we use a 5 lb hammer) through the fixed loop, and "pop" the axle out. Rotating the axle between pulls helps.

Always be sure to be safe and wear protective equipment when preforming maintenance on your car.

Southeast Overland disclaims any liability from any product purchased from Southeast Overland.
Of course.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:

I love it... it's a variation of the poorboy technique I used as a youth to pull axles... used chain attached to the wheel studs on one side, and a loop in the chain on the other end, and an old baseball bat to hit the chain loop.

Your method is much more polished... Smile

ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Here's an actual better solution to the metal cable and clamps setup.

Looks like a handy thing to keep in the vehicle...

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints vs. Half-shafts? Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
Here's an actual better solution to the metal cable and clamps setup.

Looks like a handy thing to keep in the vehicle...
If you also.have a half shaft assembly in the vehicle as well.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: