Sunday, August 20, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 90
Total: 90
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

I remember how I agonized over the decision to purchase new tires shortly after I got my FJ. Now that I'm give or take within ~10k miles of the next set of shoes, the decision must be made again. The nice part is that I have a solid 6-8 months to make the choice again.

I've been very satisfied with my 265/70r17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They've taken me just about everywhere that I've tried to go. The exception being the last major obstacle on the Crown King run. Made it over with some fancy new body modifications (read: trail damage) and the help of Glider's winch. I'm confident that a slightly larger tire would have made all the difference.

And with that I dive back into the world of "What Size". A question debated over thousands of posts for the better part of a decade. My understanding is that the most widely accepted standard upgrade is a 285. I've also seen a lot of positive feedback from trusted individuals for a 295. Sizes in excess of those, from what I've read, simply aren't worth the strain on the rest of the vehicle. 285 should have a BMC; 295 must have a BMC, right?

What I would most like to see out of this post are personal experiences with greater-than-stock size tires as well as personal opinions gained through excessive research on the topic. I'm not so undecided about what type of tire as most likely I'll end up with bigger Duratracs, but if you're a big advocate of another brand I'd like to know why. I have to admit that after about 30k and plenty of abuse these Duratracs are mighty chunky.

Thanks for your time to read this post [again] and any feedback you can lend to help me make this decision by the summer of 2017!

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

My two cents......love my kooks, and my set up. Real love them when extreme wheeling with club. When I'm pulling my camper and hauling up the mountains fishing which is 95% off my out of doors stuff I really wish I had a good set of stock size off road tires! I think my next set will be 265 KO2's we will see......

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

im currently running 305s ProComp in a MT pattern, and yeah probably way too much for the weekend mall crawler use.. but hey it looks cool and that counts.

I think the 285 size in the brand/type you like is going to get you a lot of places, again what is the TYPICAL 95% usage for you and aim your choice there. you got hung up/challenge on ONE obstacle in how many miles/days of usage? I'm guessing it was a VERY low percentage of stuck/challenges/didnt fit the need for usage.

regarding frame chopping, this is going to be a function of how beefy the tread is over the printed tire size, oddly those tire sizes aren't an exact science for fitment and rubbing.

now what brand... I think someone here once said it best

"black, round, and hold air" Smile
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Dan,
You have to consider weight when choosing. 35" tires are just too heavy for stock gearing and eventually you'll have to upgrade that. 285's (And I'm on my 3rd set) will get you about anywhere. They don't look as cool (33") vs the bigger (35") but they are somewhat lighter.
55lbs vs 62lbs. SO I guess it's a 35# difference in weight.

No, I don't have a BMC, never rubbed.

I have had BFG all terrain TA that lasted 55K(Which just went to Homedad's kid)
2 sets of Kooks. 41 on the first set - 3 replaced w certs from side wall punctures.

Next set will be 255's (Taller/thinner/lighter) perhaps BFG's again (KM2 MT's?)
www.tirerack.com/tires...mpare1=yes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
debFJVT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

I've run Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX 285/75/16 for two years in a huge variety of situations and continue to be extremely impressed and pleased. No rubbing, amazing traction, yet smooth and comfortable on highway. Also nice having beefy sidewalls, which is one of the many reasons I got rid of my Duratracs.

If you haven't already, check out the Expeditionportal article "Where the rubber meets the road" - I learned a great deal from their excellent review/testing of tires...it's a must-read IMO!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

debFJVT wrote:
If you haven't already, check out the Expeditionportal article "Where the rubber meets the road"...

now with more links:
expeditionportal.com/w...-the-road/
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

That's a good Read Calichaos.
May have to go that way instead of my plan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

all credit to debFJVT for the knowledge to mention it.. I just found it
debFJVT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

all credit to debFJVT for the knowledge to mention it.. I just found it

Thanks! That article is what turned me on to Cooper. They recently reviewed the new STT PRO, a M/T that I'll probably get when I wear out my S/T MAXX....someday lol. Would like to get them in 34"...thinking I may still be able to get away without a BMC. I know more than a few people running both tires who are pretty blown away by their performance Wink Hope that helps!
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

FYI those are the old KO2's...

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Great article and nice tip on the Cooper Discoverer STT PROs. Those are looking like a winner. There's a bit of feedback about excessively early wear but there's also a review countering that (5/32s at 25k miles - seems super low).

Looking at the specs for those bad boys, the toss up would be
285/70R17 at 33.03" weighing 62lb with 19/32 tread vs
295/70R17 at 33.46" weighing 66lb with 21/32 tread

Pros & cons of extra 0.43" size for additional 4lbs?

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
Great article and nice tip on the Cooper Discoverer STT PROs. Those are looking like a winner. There's a bit of feedback about excessively early wear but there's also a review countering that (5/32s at 25k miles - seems super low).

Looking at the specs for those bad boys, the toss up would be
285/70R17 at 33.03" weighing 62lb with 19/32 tread vs
295/70R17 at 33.46" weighing 66lb with 21/32 tread

Pros & cons of extra 0.43" size for additional 4lbs?

what UCA are you running? There is a chance that the 295 will rub there (some 285's get REAL close).

all the same stuff about a BMC as well. not guaranteed you will need it, but with the 295, better be prepared.
If you care about MPG, wider, heavier both work against you.

Pro's would be "is this what you want", that's pretty much all you would be gaining, but that alone may be enough.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Well i run 37 12.50 ....
Lots of body and suspension modifications not to mention 5.29 gearing.....lol
I don't care about mpgs anymore.

azfj owners are the best
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
what UCA are you running? There is a chance that the 295 will rub there (some 285's get REAL close).

all the same stuff about a BMC as well. not guaranteed you will need it, but with the 295, better be prepared.

Pro's would be "is this what you want", that's pretty much all you would be gaining, but that alone may be enough.

I've got Total Chaos UCAs over RadFlo 2.5 adjustable coilovers. I haven't read anything about rubbing issues with these UCAs.
GMG's contact info is saved for BMC if that becomes necessary.
I gave up a lifetime of caring about MPGs when I got the FJ. Eventually, when there comes a second vehicle into my daily life, I will care again. Until then I'm looking to get the most SMILES per gallon.

debFJVT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! Not Again! More Tire Size Discussion Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:

I've got Total Chaos UCAs over RadFlo 2.5 adjustable coilovers. I haven't read anything about rubbing issues with these UCAs.
GMG's contact info is saved for BMC if that becomes necessary.
I gave up a lifetime of caring about MPGs when I got the FJ. Eventually, when there comes a second vehicle into my daily life, I will care again. Until then I'm looking to get the most SMILES per gallon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: