Wednesday, July 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: kyle.hoefer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1949

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 75
Total: 76
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZFJ4AK > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brentphx
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance Reply with quote

I'd love to hear first hand experiences with suction guns to speed up the process. I'm going through the reliability list now that the truck is mine. The fact that it's about to turn 60k is coincidence, it'd get new fluids regardless. I'm not looking forward to using a cheap hand pump, there are so many options on amazon I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis.

Was looking at this one with the understanding that it's easier to unscrew the lid and refill than to suck up from the bottle: OTC (2359) Oil Suction Gun www.amazon.com/dp/B00F...-xbTTSK7H8

Better options??
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance Reply with quote

Step 1. Get new crush washers for fill and drain.
Step 2. Open fill plug first (because it if there is an issue, you still have your fluid).
Step 3. Open drain plug and allow to empty.

Don't really need suction gun or anything fancy. Just good high quality oils. For the transfer case on the 14, toyota recommends using their stuff, but they don't say why. I like amisol or Lucas for the diff's. I could see where a pump word help for the front diff, I just put a tube on the bottle and raised the bottle to dump it in.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance Reply with quote

I only use the pump for filling the tranny. For the rear diff is easy without a pump. The front is only difficult getting the fluid in. I use a funnel with a long flexible tube on it to run from the top of the engine down to the fill plug. I remove the tube for filling the oil. Then I have a grease gun for the drive line.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Brentphx
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance Reply with quote

Fair enough! I won't reinvent the wheel. If tubes work, sweet! Thanks!!
Robinhood4x4
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Suction gun for diff/t case maintenance Reply with quote

What I've done to fill the diff is, drill two holes into the cap of the oil bottle. Push a short section of tygon tubing down both holes, making sure they form a tight seal with the hole, one all the way to the bottom and the other only an inch in. Put the long tube into your diff and carefully pressurize the short tube with an air compressor but with very low pressure. This will push the fluid from the bottle to the diff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: