Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 48
Total: 48
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

For folks that are on multiple forums sorry if you have seen this already.

Not sure how many of you are aware of this feature but you can import custom maps into Gaia GPS via a tool they provide. I wrote a basic tutorial on how to do this using Google Maps as the example. This is a very powerful tool. One that I am trying to take to the next level by importing all of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps beginning with Arizona. These are fast becoming the only Official record of open forest roads. If you want to stay legal you need to reference these maps. PDF Maps for iOS by Avenza allows you to use the MVUM maps already but Gaia GPS is my preferred navigation app. I don't like to bounce back and forth between apps if I don't have to.

Here's an example of 2 custom maps layers. On the left is the Kaibab National Forest Williams District Map in black and white and the Coconino National Forest North map in color.

To get all of this to work and to get the highest resolution of maps available it will take purchasing some software which is not cheap. The other hope is Gaia will just eventually incorporate these layers into their app directly. Most likely these would only be available with a pro subscription.

So for those of you who use Gaia how valuable would these map layers be to you?
[ ] Only if they are free
[ ] Only if they are free from within Gaia GPS
[ ] Yes, I would pay $5-10 for the ability to access these maps from a 3rd party
[ ] Yes, I would be willing to pay for an annual pro subscription from Gaia

I don't work for Gaia. I am just a heavy user, product evangelist, and I am always trying to make the app even better.

My tutorial to learn how to import custom maps can be found here: www.4xoverlandadventur...-gaia-gps/

Thanks,
Chris

Here is the current complete list of MVUM maps across the country.
www.fs.fed.us/recreati...maps.shtml

They have just added Hunting Map layers and public lands identification overlays to the pro subscriptions. blog.gaiagps.com/

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

Love this app...more features the better
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

[ ] Yes, I would pay $5-10 for the ability to access these maps from a 3rd party

I don't like subscriptions, won't do a subscription for something that is available elsewhere free (legally) but I do consider a fair price for the convenience.
I have found the MVUM's available in AZ to be WAY better than a lot of other areas I have traveled, so having one tool to import them/ merge them - that actually works - would be worth an investment to me.

Thank you for the work you are doing in helping us use this tool. You know I still favor another app, but it takes a lot of manual 'doing of things' to get what I need. Your work with this Gaia app has me taking another look.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:

I don't like subscriptions, won't do a subscription for something that is available elsewhere free (legally) but I do consider a fair price for the convenience.
I have found the MVUM's available in AZ to be WAY better than a lot of other areas I have traveled, so having one tool to import them/ merge them - that actually works - would be worth an investment to me.

Thank you for the work you are doing in helping us use this tool. You know I still favor another app, but it takes a lot of manual 'doing of things' to get what I need. Your work with this Gaia app has me taking another look.

I completely agree. The new color ones as they come out are great. The problem I am running into is a lot of the older but current maps for other states are not Georeferenced. That means a lot of extra work to manually place reference waypoints on the pdf so the software can figure out where the map actually is. A bunch in Colorado are that way.

There is a chance this data is now available without conversion. I am trying to speak to the main developer at Gaia about this and hope that these can be added to the development roadmap for the app. There more that say they want something like this the better!

In years past the Android version was the wicked step child. That is not the case anymore. They are working on a dedicated beta testing team for that version to help improve things. It is on par with the iOS version now but I am guessing there will be big improvements over the next year for both apps.

- CK
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

It would be great to combine MVUM's with other layers in Gaia and I am already a subscriber.

1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to add custom maps to Gaia GPS Reply with quote

Velociraptor wrote:
It would be great to combine MVUM's with other layers in Gaia and I am already a subscriber.

Thanks for the feedback. When I get all of the AZ maps converted I will likely share how you can connect to them on my server. There is a way to publicly share them on The Gaia website but I'm concerned too many people would use it and my costs would go up. One of the Kaibab maps is not georeferenced properly so I have to see if I can manually correct that. Otherwise it is pretty easy for me to do the conversions.

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: