Thursday, June 29, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 34
Total: 36
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZCruiser > Forums
02: Velociraptor > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Ham testing
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Ham testing
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Ham testing Reply with quote

Many moons ago (around the last proper SedonaFest) we formed an ARRL VE team amongst AZFJ hams to make it easier to convert folks from the dark side of CB. That later morphed into a Laurel VEC team so that we could bring the testing to everyone for free (and largely out of our own pockets.)

Fast forward to today and we have more or less saturated the non-club with ham licenses in addition to the many folks who got licensed through other venues/options.

Having not run a session since Off Camber last year doesn't sit too well with the VEC so given the lack of demand, and lack of active and interested VE team members, it looks like it's time to bring this chapter to an end.

Others may pick up and run with the Laurel system which would give a free option to the valley again, but otherwise any old ARRL session (listed on arrl.org) can be used to get licensed or upgrade.

Huge thanks to Yoshi for being the one to spearhead the whole movement so many years ago. And the numerous VEs we've had within AZFJ (fatrat, conejo, azfjtoy, cypher, pumbaa, and i know i have to be missing some more.) And homedad for testing and showing that all the cool kids are doing it =)

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Thanks for your hard work and dedication all of you.
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Thanks for your hard work and dedication.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

I'm sorry I didn't get my Extra in time. I would have helped. But Adam, Yoshi, Bruce, Lawrence, thanks for all you did! You are truly special people.

K9JBO 73s

(Hey, BTW, I talked to CUBA from the Titan Missile Museum Event on HF this saturday! ). All because of you guys.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Almost wish i had kept my map updated, but as of almost two years ago azfj's ham saturation looked like this:

~75 hams as of my last map update.

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:

Huge thanks to Yoshi for being the one to spearhead the whole movement so many years ago. And the numerous VEs we've had within AZFJ (fatrat, conejo, azfjtoy, cypher, pumbaa, and i know i have to be missing some more.)

Great BIG Thank you to each of you! I appreciate all the effort and work you guys put into getting people licensed. (Or upgraded!)
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Thanks for your past efforts. KG7 something but really K1LDR
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Attention Prescott residents: Here is your chance to get your entry-level Amateur Radio License. A two-day class is coming up to prepare interested people for the “Technician” amateur license.

The class, offered free by the Yavapai Amateur Radio Club, will be Saturday, Aug. 6 and 13, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Jeep Posse building, 1200 Commerce Drive (in Pioneer Park). For information or to register, email classes @ w7yrc.org.

Testing for all levels of FCC amateur radio license will be at 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 27. Tests will be held at the Jeep Posse building. To pre-register for tests (required), email testing @ w7yrc.org.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
pazzo_fj
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Attention Prescott residents: Here is your chance to get your entry-level Amateur Radio License. A two-day class is coming up to prepare interested people for the “Technician” amateur license.

The class, offered free by the Yavapai Amateur Radio Club, will be Saturday, Aug. 6 and 13, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Jeep Posse building, 1200 Commerce Drive (in Pioneer Park). For information or to register, email classes @ w7yrc.org.

Testing for all levels of FCC amateur radio license will be at 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 27. Tests will be held at the Jeep Posse building. To pre-register for tests (required), email testing @ w7yrc.org.

Marty...if you're reading this....it's your opportunity!

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

THANK YOU to all the AZFJ HAMs before us who paved the way as VEs and supported free testing! Many of us have benefited from your hard work.
Also thanks to K9JBO for being my elmer and encouraging me to get my Tech license.

I encourage all AZFJ non-members to get your Tech license. There are plenty of study aids and AZFJ hams that can help you prepare.

K7VFJ 73s

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ham testing Reply with quote

You're not supposed to have a better radio than your elmer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: