Not quite 2 years into FJ ownership, I think it's high time to get this thread started. I haven't gotten to it yet because there hasn't been much to get to, but it looks like the build will be developing rapidly over the next few months. Then we'll see what the Summit X raffle has in store for me...
With much deliberation over a name I pieced together Rove Motive. What do you think? I feel like it's got a nice roll off the tongue.
Mods to date:
1) With the help of GMG Fabrication, removed stock "Predator" steps and installed 1st Edition GMG Custom FJ Cruiser Rock Rails
. This was accomplished on one sunny afternoon prior to FJ Summit 9 in July of 2015. To be completed: re-fit with consistent mounting hardware; repaint/touch up.
2) Self-installed, purely cosmetic APC parking lights - purchased via post on the FJ Cruiser Forum Facebook Group. Minimal tools & effort required. Minimal cost. All in all, great buy.
And that's it! Single dad-mode with a decent job and a 2nd moonlight job (which pretty much pays for daycare during the first) has left me continuing my lifelong journey of paycheck to paycheck existence. While I don't have much for finances, I've managed them well and therefor enabled myself to stretch a bit beyond my means sometimes. Therefore, incoming this summer:
1) Expedition 1 Diamond Front Bumper with Baja Squadrons to be installed at the Wrench Fest on June 18th in south Phoenix - Big thanks to Grinder for organizing the group buy and SafetyHooker for "stewarding" the location.
2) 22" Cree Lightbar, soon to be nestled below the center hoop on the fancy new bumper - thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds
3) 48" Cree Lightbar, soon to be mounted to the front of my factory roof rack. Some fabrication is in order for a mounting solution - I've got a local buddy checking it out soon but I'm always open to suggestions as well! Bar itself also thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds
4) Custom wiring harness
- cookie cutting the great idea by TOY4WD on his previous rig - 4-switch wiring kit with relays - Purchased via Amazon
5) Replacement Engine Splash Guards - RAD heavy duty
from Southeast Overland
6) Full set Man-A-Fre skid plates. Long overdue protection incoming thanks to Blizerd on AZFJ Classifieds. To be completed: I believe that a piece needs to be removed to enable oil changes without having to uninstall the whole plate.
So that's what's in the cards so far. The wish list is extensive but here's the highlights -
1) Lift/Suspension Upgrade (currently stock)
2) Re-gear. I'm curious what level of priority I should place on this. It's definitely on the list to get done and I wasn't planning on it until after having completed most of the other mods on my list. But I've added a good bit of weight already and I'm adding a LOT more over the summer, so I assume I'm going to want to look at this sooner rather than later. Really, the only significantly heavy things I'll have left in another month will be larger tires, winch, and a rear bumper.
3) Tire Upgrade (currently 265 Duratracs) - likely will go with a larger size of the same tire because these things have been great!
4) Wheel Upgrade (currently stock 17s) - I haven't searched and searched, but in a few brief looks I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation of the benefits of beadlocks. I won't be upgrading my wheels without a thorough understanding of these, unless, of course, the Summit Raffle shines upon me.
5) Rock Lights (to be wired on the 4th switch from the kit on #4 above)
6) Reverse Light Upgrade
8) Rear Bumper
9) BMC - Most likely from GMG Fabrication
10) Interior Lighting Upgrade
11) Headlight Bulb Upgrade
12) Horn Upgrade
*) RTT (might be years before I get around to this one)
*) I think a rhino-liner type of material would be a really fun replacement for my wicked pinstripes but that's a long way off too.
Pics to come, eventually...