Tuesday, September 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: petertohen
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1970

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 58
Total: 60
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AMACK2012 > Forums
02: fjlarry > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Rove Motive
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rove Motive
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Rove Motive Reply with quote

Not quite 2 years into FJ ownership, I think it's high time to get this thread started. I haven't gotten to it yet because there hasn't been much to get to, but it looks like the build will be developing rapidly over the next few months. Then we'll see what the Summit X raffle has in store for me...

With much deliberation over a name I pieced together Rove Motive. What do you think? I feel like it's got a nice roll off the tongue.

Mods to date:
1) With the help of GMG Fabrication, removed stock "Predator" steps and installed 1st Edition GMG Custom FJ Cruiser Rock Rails. This was accomplished on one sunny afternoon prior to FJ Summit 9 in July of 2015. To be completed: re-fit with consistent mounting hardware; repaint/touch up.
2) Self-installed, purely cosmetic APC parking lights - purchased via post on the FJ Cruiser Forum Facebook Group. Minimal tools & effort required. Minimal cost. All in all, great buy.

And that's it! Single dad-mode with a decent job and a 2nd moonlight job (which pretty much pays for daycare during the first) has left me continuing my lifelong journey of paycheck to paycheck existence. While I don't have much for finances, I've managed them well and therefor enabled myself to stretch a bit beyond my means sometimes. Therefore, incoming this summer:

1) Expedition 1 Diamond Front Bumper with Baja Squadrons to be installed at the Wrench Fest on June 18th in south Phoenix - Big thanks to Grinder for organizing the group buy and SafetyHooker for "stewarding" the location.

2) 22" Cree Lightbar, soon to be nestled below the center hoop on the fancy new bumper - thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds

3) 48" Cree Lightbar, soon to be mounted to the front of my factory roof rack. Some fabrication is in order for a mounting solution - I've got a local buddy checking it out soon but I'm always open to suggestions as well! Bar itself also thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds

4) Custom wiring harness - cookie cutting the great idea by TOY4WD on his previous rig - 4-switch wiring kit with relays - Purchased via Amazon

5) Replacement Engine Splash Guards - RAD heavy duty from Southeast Overland

6) Full set Man-A-Fre skid plates. Long overdue protection incoming thanks to Blizerd on AZFJ Classifieds. To be completed: I believe that a piece needs to be removed to enable oil changes without having to uninstall the whole plate.

So that's what's in the cards so far. The wish list is extensive but here's the highlights -

1) Lift/Suspension Upgrade (currently stock)
2) Re-gear. I'm curious what level of priority I should place on this. It's definitely on the list to get done and I wasn't planning on it until after having completed most of the other mods on my list. But I've added a good bit of weight already and I'm adding a LOT more over the summer, so I assume I'm going to want to look at this sooner rather than later. Really, the only significantly heavy things I'll have left in another month will be larger tires, winch, and a rear bumper.
3) Tire Upgrade (currently 265 Duratracs) - likely will go with a larger size of the same tire because these things have been great!
4) Wheel Upgrade (currently stock 17s) - I haven't searched and searched, but in a few brief looks I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation of the benefits of beadlocks. I won't be upgrading my wheels without a thorough understanding of these, unless, of course, the Summit Raffle shines upon me.
5) Rock Lights (to be wired on the 4th switch from the kit on #4 above)
6) Reverse Light Upgrade
7) Winch
8) Rear Bumper
9) BMC - Most likely from GMG Fabrication.
10) Interior Lighting Upgrade
11) Headlight Bulb Upgrade
12) Horn Upgrade
*) RTT (might be years before I get around to this one)
*) I think a rhino-liner type of material would be a really fun replacement for my wicked pinstripes but that's a long way off too.

Pics to come, eventually...
itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

Nice update on your rig. My understanding for a re-gear "which is coming from limited knowledge" is done mainly for the purpose of running tire sizes bigger than 33 inches or 285-75 essentially. And if your going to re-gear my opinion would be to have a front locker installed as well during the process. That is just my thought anyway. In regards to the light bar oem roof rack dilemma i'm stuck as well. Trail works makes what I believe are tabs or essentially mounting plate bracket thingamajimmy's, that can allow you to mount your light bar on your factory roof rack. Problem is they seem quite expensive in my opinion. Maybe GMG fab can come up with a fabrication solution for a better price point. Or maybe I don't know crap about welding and fabrication costs and 150.00 is a good price point for light bar mounts.

Hope you keep us posted on your progress.

FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

Regear only if going to a 35" tire. 305-70-17 probably largest tire without regear

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...230,000 miles
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

Updates in BOLD

Splagg wrote:

1) Expedition 1 Diamond Front Bumper with Baja Squadrons to be installed at the Wrench Fest on June 18th in south Phoenix - Big thanks to Grinder for organizing the group buy and SafetyHooker for "stewarding" the location. Complete!

2) 22" Cree Lightbar, soon to be nestled below the center hoop on the fancy new bumper - thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds Complete!

3) 48" Cree Lightbar, soon to be mounted to the front of my factory roof rack. Some fabrication is in order for a mounting solution - I've got a local buddy checking it out soon but I'm always open to suggestions as well! Bar itself also thanks to FatRat on AZFJ Classifieds Roof Rack clamps purchased as phase 1 of mounting solution. Still need a beam/bar fabricated that I can connect to the clamps, then connect light bar to it. Hopefully soon!

4) Custom wiring harness - cookie cutting the great idea by TOY4WD on his previous rig - 4-switch wiring kit with relays - Purchased via Amazon Complete, thanks to TOY4WD for rigging this up at the Exp1 install - I'm wired and ready for light installs!

5) Replacement Engine Splash Guards - RAD heavy duty from Southeast Overland Complete! These are a bit odd... material is sturdy and install was easy enough but something doesn't seem quite right - there's too much slack in the driver's side rear flap and the passenger side front flap only has 2 clips holding it in due to bumper install covering one of them. We'll see how they do though - I'm sure something is better than nothing!

6) Full set Man-A-Fre skid plates. Long overdue protection incoming thanks to Blizerd on AZFJ Classifieds. To be completed: I believe that a piece needs to be removed to enable oil changes without having to uninstall the whole plate. Complete! Oil change should be accessible without removal or modification of front plate. May still need to make adjustment due to sway bar relocation from suspension install - it rubs against the top of the plate and makes for some hefty, painful sounding racket.

So that's what's in the cards so far. The wish list is extensive but here's the highlights -

1) Lift/Suspension Upgrade (currently stock) Complete! RadFlo 2.5 with Total Chaos UCAs installed with the help of Glider - just over a week before Summit X, whew!
2) Re-gear. I'm curious what level of priority I should place on this. It's definitely on the list to get done and I wasn't planning on it until after having completed most of the other mods on my list. But I've added a good bit of weight already and I'm adding a LOT more over the summer, so I assume I'm going to want to look at this sooner rather than later. Really, the only significantly heavy things I'll have left in another month will be larger tires, winch, and a rear bumper.
3) Tire Upgrade (currently 265 Duratracs) - likely will go with a larger size of the same tire because these things have been great!
4) Wheel Upgrade (currently stock 17s) - I haven't searched and searched, but in a few brief looks I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation of the benefits of beadlocks. I won't be upgrading my wheels without a thorough understanding of these, unless, of course, the Summit Raffle shines upon me.
5) Rock Lights (to be wired on the 4th switch from the kit on #4 above)
6) Reverse Light Upgrade
7) Winch
8) Rear Bumper
9) BMC - Most likely from GMG Fabrication.
10) Interior Lighting Upgrade
11) Headlight Bulb Upgrade Complete!
12) Horn Upgrade
*) RTT (might be years before I get around to this one)
*) I think a rhino-liner type of material would be a really fun replacement for my wicked pinstripes but that's a long way off too.

Pics to come, eventually...

itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

The "rhino lining" as paint was something I was curious about as well after having been mentioned/suggested to me by a mechanic out of the blue. He referred to it as linex or line-x paint job something like that. Seems to me though once you go that route there would be no going back one would think. One being me... meaning the discontinued, out of production, no longer made iconic FJ cruiser would possibly be stuck with that paint job forever. Not necessarily a bad thing as I was curious about going that route myself.

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

I saw one on the FJCruiserForums that went top to bottom in rhino liner and it looked about as bad ass as could be. Definitely on the radar but looks like a pretty giant pain in the ass to complete.

itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rove Motive Reply with quote

I've seen a couple Jeeps with that paint type job as well as a dodge challeger...! They did look pretty sweet and talk about scratch resistance. Plus the possible added neutral tone insulation from the burning summer sun. Maybe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: