Friday, July 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: kyle.hoefer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1949

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 98
Total: 99
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: LESZMOR > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Vendor/dealership Reviews › Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee
Review all local vendors here. One thread per vendor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexVendor/dealership Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Some of you might know that Randee (Mrs. Homedad) has a business creating window treatments. She makes mini-blinds and also does solar screens (and probably more). I recently decided to put solar screens on all the windows to lower electric bills, reduce glare and improve comfort in some overly warm east and south-facing rooms. Thanks to Homedad for alerting me that Randee also does screens as part of her business.

Randee came by the house to see which windows/doors I wanted screens on and took some quick measurements for an immediate estimate. Her price was in the 'good' range that I had hoped for. She had her screen guy, a very nice gentleman by the name of Richard, come by to make precise measurements and within the next few days he had finished and installed my first order. My wife and I had chosen a dark bronze screen that blocks 90% of the sun's rays from entering the home. The screen material is made by Phifer and I believe has a 10 year warranty. According to their website, homes in this part of Arizona (Maricopa, others) qualify for a 10% tax credit on the purchase price through 2013.

Richard's work was excellent, both for the fit/finish and installation of the screens. He's also a pleasant guy to talk to and get to know.

Up to 50% of the heat entering your home comes through the window glass and sun/solar screens can block most of the heat, prevent fading of your furnishings as well as reduce glare. Cooling costs can be reduced by more than 30% in an average home. I've already noticed that east-facing rooms that used to be too warm after a few hours of direct morning sun are now comfortable all day. Other room temps rise only 2 degrees from morning to evening.

If you're in need of solar screens or other window treatments don't hesitate to give Randee a call at 623-210-8700.

Dave / AZFJTOY

North-facing screens are 80% to allow more light; all others are 90%

The view through 90% screen facing south in direct sunlight

Obvious reduction in annoying glare

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Hey, I know her Wink

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

A shout-out for SOLAR:

With the weather getting warmer and electric bills growing this is a good time to remind you some relief is possible.

Solar is great but it's not cheap to install a larger system and incentives aren't as good as they used to be. Solar City has 20 year leases (transferable) that allow you to install a system for nothing down, or $1,000-5,000+ up to a full pre-paid lease. The more you put down the less the monthly payment and total cost of energy.

Our home is 3,100', mostly 12' ceilings and all electric. We keep it comfortable and the last 3 electric bills were: $37, $22 and $30 with most of those amounts being taxes/fees rather than electricity. I hate paying for electricity!

Besides solar panels another great bang for the buck are solar window shades. If you've got any 'hot rooms' due to direct sunlight from the east, south and west you can dramatically increase the comfort and lower cooling costs by installing 90% screens. The temperature of my living room and master bedroom dropped by 10 degrees after installation of these screens. As much as 50% of the heat coming into your home is through the windows and solar screens will keep it out.

I recommend talking to Homie's wife, Randee, if you are interested in being more comfortable this summer and saving money on electric bills.

I know I sound like a salesman but I know both these ideas really work and can see the benefits every day. Happy to answer any questions here or by PM.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Solar is cool... free juice is literally falling from the sky, using it makes sense. Wink

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Solar is cool... free juice is literally falling from the sky, using it makes sense. Wink

True, dat.

Another thing to think about; many people will shy away from a solar panel installation because they may not be in the house long enough to recoup the energy savings. It doesn't really matter, the system will increase the value of your home at sale time.

Our system is a Solar City pre-paid lease (no payments) and was $15,000. We should save that amount in electric costs in 6-7 years, but even if we sold the house next week I'm sure the full value will be added to the selling price. The highest bill the last 2 years was $190, not bad for desert living.

NathansLola
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what would cause an average bill of $30 ish to increase to a highest bill of $190?

Is it cheaper bills in the summer (because PV gets more Juice) or in the winter (because you're not running AC)?

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

NathansLola wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what would cause an average bill of $30 ish to increase to a highest bill of $190?

Is it cheaper bills in the summer (because PV gets more Juice) or in the winter (because you're not running AC)?

Before the solar I had summer bills of $350-400+ while trying to be very conservative; keeping the a/c at 82 and not being comfortable, or at 81 if I wanted to splurge. With the solar I keep the a/c at 78 and any less is usually too chilly for anyone in the home, but do drop it to 74 on summer nights for sleeping comfort.

The higher summer bills now can be blamed on overnight a/c use and longer pool filter run times. Solar is great when the sun is up but between about 7pm and 6am on warm summer nights you're drawing electricity from whatever you've banked from sun-up to noon. I'm on the noon to 7pm plan with APS. With solar, the energy you generate is divided between what you produce during off-peak and on-peak hours, and banked separately. I use a lot of electricity between noon and 7pm for running the a/c and my system produces more than enough power to make that usage free, always. All of my panels are on west-facing roof slopes to generate more energy in the afternoons. So, between sun-up and noon the system produces less than from noon to 7pm. Running my a/c all night is off-peak hours and requires more electricity than my system makes from sun-up to noon. During most Fall and Spring days when no a/c is needed my bills are normally just taxes/fees rather than electricity costs.

I know, you might have to read the above 2-3 times to figure out what I was trying to say.

In 2015, my June-August bills averaged $146. For the coldest months the bills average about $130. Could be less but my wife thinks it's cold for sleeping at 72F. Our house is all electric.

Here are 3 pics of the solar output during the year.

Average December day with sun lowest in sky.

Yesterday.

Average day in June.

It's surprising, even with all the panels facing to the west notice how energy production in the morning is still good, just starts off slower in the early hours.

NathansLola
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's really interesting that they bank your on/off peak hours separately, I didn't know they did that.

Do you get to sell back your extra On Peak power/(if so)does that help lower the cost of your off peak?

I also did some math based on your 'Yesterday' graph cause i was curious. at 11.1 cents per kWh and 55,163 from yesterday, You have already saved $6123. THATS AWESOME.

Thanks for the info Smile

NathansLola
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Now I'm realizing that all of your 'lifetime output' numbers are the same, since you screen shotted them the same day.

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

NathansLola wrote:
Hmmm, that's really interesting that they bank your on/off peak hours separately, I didn't know they did that.

Do you get to sell back your extra On Peak power/(if so)does that help lower the cost of your off peak?

I also did some math based on your 'Yesterday' graph cause i was curious. at 11.1 cents per kWh and 55,163 from yesterday, You have already saved $6123. THATS AWESOME.

Thanks for the info Smile

They do buy back unused power but only at about 6 cents per kWh and they do this in November, I think. It doesn't amount to much.

As noted, I'm on the noon to 7 plan but it can be changed to others, like 0900 to 2100. APS will do a plan comparison if asked but when considering usage myself I have not seen any benefit in changing. For most summer days the a/c does not come on until about noon and then between 6-7pm I'll drop the temp a bit more while still in the 'free' period.

According to SC figures, my PV system should pay for itself in 6-7 years. It's a bit quicker for me because I did a pre-paid lease; paid the full amount up front and have no payments at all for the 20 year lease. By doing this my PV energy is costing about 5.6 cents per kWh. If I had made a down payment of say $3,000 and then made monthly payments the overall cost would be higher, resulting in about 10.5-11 cents per kWh for energy produced.

Here is the pic for today's output. If the sky is clear each day you can see slight improvements as spring approaches. Likewise, daily totals drop as December 21st approaches, then increase after that date.

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

An update to the above info. My system has been in operation for 5 years now. The initial system cost will be fully reimbursed in 1.5 years and then I'll be producing at least $2,300 of totally free energy each year.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

Time to start solar Bitcoin mining at Dave's house! XD

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dendy Corp / Solar Screens / Randee Reply with quote

maybe if enough of his neighbors are friendly enough.. there is money to be made....

www.politico.com/magaz...rid-215268
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Vendor/dealership Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: