Sunday, April 30, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 76
Total: 78
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jimbolio > Forums
02: Thunderklees > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
The rug road is an old road that connects the Arivaipa Canyon to the San Pedro River Valley. It is rumored that sometime in the 1950's a rancher from the Arivaipa side enhanced this road at a particularly steep section of hill climb by putting in some carpet remnants to aid in traction for his two wheel drive pickup. I can't fathom doing any of this trail in a 2WD.

The addition of these carpet pieces into that high shear force hillside designated that section as 'Carpet Hill' and the entire road as the "RUG ROAD".

The trip ends in beautiful Turkey Creek and Arivaipa Canyon.

IMPORTANT CAVEATS:
This is NOT recommended as a 1 day trip.
This is NOT recommended as a solo trip.
Stock: Possible but NOT recommended - Higher than normal Ground Clearance needed.

The Trail (W-E)
The road starts out in Mammoth, and there is a sign in book as you will be crossing lots of private land. (Sign it so we can keep this trail open) it follows a wash for several miles then itclimbs several hills and undulates over ridge and canyon for about 25 miles. There will be many interesting sights to stop at and explore.

We took a side trip to the Copper Creek Mine and followed the Bluebird mine road past an Old Cabin (Which won't be with us much longer in it's standing up state). Over and down canyons and shelf roads to ridge lines until you arrive at the top of

BOULDER MOUNTAIN -
This is the toughest obstacle on the entire trail - a 1 mile 700' down hill shelf road that is littered with basketball size boulders that have to be negotiated, all while the passenger gets to look at the significant drop off on their side. Pucker factor will be high and you will be in 4WD-Low-1st here.

If that's not bad enough, when you are 1/2 way down it, you come to CARPET HILL,
Back Country Byway wrote:
Legend has it the road was first built to service the Salazar Ranch. Old man Salazar was driving back and forth to Mammoth regularly in his 2WD pickup in the early 1950's and got nervous about the way the road was eroding. So he went down to Tucson and gathered a truckload of old carpet remnants. On his way back home he stuffed those remnants into rough spots along the road to smooth out the road, give him better traction and slow down the damage from erosion. That part of the road is now known as "Carpet Hill," and it's a nasty, loose-rock, deeply rutted, steep slope
a 40 degree down hill with two 90 degree turns. There IS a parking area at the top so that you can walk and plan it. (But not when coming E-W which makes this a difficult climb and the drop off will be on the driver's side). It's unnerving to get a bounce off a boulder toward the side of the shelf road.

After Carpet Hill and the descent of Boulder Mountain - you climb up all the distance you dropped to the Table Mountain Saddle. From here the views are STUNNING and you can get Cell Phone reception for those final goodbyes.

After the saddle, you can visit the ruins of the Table Mountain Mine, Office and Smelter complete with boiler remnants and 2 furnaces.

From here you drop down into Parson's grove which had a cabin, a small pond and a corral. This would be a nice place to stop and camp if you are running out of daylight.

Difficulty
3.5 - Challenging 4WD trail: Challenging trails on which low range 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Not recommended with stock 4WD vehicle. Traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure highly recommended. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

There are lots of climbs involving loose 'scree' broken shale and baseball size rocks. your tires will NOT be happy at the end of this run. There will be several points that your ascent will fail and you will have to choose a new line.

As you approach Turkey Creek, you will encounter 3 steps that must be driven down that are 3' plus. There are two steps that will be climbed that are 3'plus.

CANYON LANDS:
You drop out of the ridges rather abruptly into Turkey Creek. This is a 10 mile long, 100' high, cliff wall slot canyon that has HUGE cotton wood and Oak trees. There are some minor water collections this time of year (Spring) that will be crossed. The road here is easy and we all switched back into 2WD for some of it. (It can be Quite Dusty though so space your vehicles accordingly).

There is a Cliff Dwelling in Turkey Creek that is marked off by the BLM. If it were not, you would never have found it. You can stand at the sign for it and not see it on the cliff:

Makes one wonder how many more there are undiscovered hanging off the cliff walls in Turkey Creek.

The trail follows the bottom of the canyon to the point where it intersects with Arivaipa Canyon. Arivaipa Canyon is owned by the Nature Conservancy and as such none of the old buildings or sides of the road are accessible to the public. It is, however, more than extraordinarily beautiful in that canyon.

You can air back up near Klondyke Store (Now closed and for sale).

From here - it's about 3 miles south to the turn off where the Phoenix and Tucson parties will split.
Phoenix - Heads east to Hwy70, then back through Globe (Not sure <citation> how much time it takes from here to get to the East Valley)
Tucson - Heads East to Bonita - then South to Willcox (First Fuel availability). About 3 hours from this point to Tucson.

Length
The entire trip from my house to my house was 232 miles but the actual Mammoth to Klondyke portion is about 33 miles. I burned 1/2 tank fuel on this 25 miles because I rarely was higher than 2nd Gear (MT6) the whole off-road portion of the trip. The last 10 Miles are in Easy canyon bottom and can be done in 2WD (there are 6 water crossings that would be better taken in 4WD).

While actual elevation difference on the route is only a bit more than 3,000 feet, the accumulated elevation gain (from all the up and down) is more than 8,400 feet. No one has gone over and back in a day.

YOU SHOULD CARRY at least 5 gal EXTRA FUEL as there is NOT an easy fill up place on the East side. You can top off at the circle K in Mammoth at the start.

You will need 6gal/water /person. (Filtering on the Turkey creek side is possible).

Start point of this trail is off MAIN street in Mammoth. OR if going E-W, Arivaipa Canyon Wilderness near Klondyke.

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures
Thoreau's Pictures (EAST to WEST)
pics.allthatremains.or...?g2_page=8
Jimbolio'sPictures:(WEST to EAST_)
jimbolio.net/gallery/m...emId=39168

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail

Thoreau:April 4-6, 2012
Jimbolio&Relic_Hunter:April 28,29 & 30th, 2012

GPS Track

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

+1 awesome writeup =)

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Excellent write up.
azeyecap
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Great write up, this is on my to do list for sure.
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

very well done write up
thanks for the info
now a question for you....how would my long wheelbase 70 suburban do?

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Great writeup! I definitely have this one on my list of to-do's.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

1leglance wrote:
very well done write up
thanks for the info
now a question for you....how would my long wheelbase 70 suburban do?

Depends if you can surmount the 3-4' steps. If you have 33's, I think you could make it. I saw pictures of an F150 supercab that was on it. (Don't know if he made it all the way though)

This was a particularly nasty obstacle stablized with tires in the road side, wasn't that bad this time. But this is a very wash out prone dip in the trail.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Thanks for the time/effort to put this together. Looks like a fun trip and something I'd like to do.

Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this recently? A few of us are going to be in the area mid March.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road *(West to East) - 3.5 Reply with quote

I would like to

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: