Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 76
Total: 76
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Schnebley
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Schnebley
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamikaze
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Schnebley Reply with quote

We were just on Schnebley a couple weeks ago. We did it from the top down. There is no real challenge to Schnebely it's now just a rocky mess. The pink jeeps travel from the west end at Sedona up to the vistas and then power back down at 40 MPH. So the road is just a mess of sharp rocks. Of course, the pinks don't give a darn, they're too busy making a buck with tourists and giving you the dirty look as if you are in their way and becoming an obstical to their money making business. It's a shame. There are lovely vistas and the road is worth taking just to see those vistas. But we were there on a Wednesday hoping to miss the pinks. That was a sad misconception. With the traffic we had on a Wednesday I would never even think of doing that on a weekend. OH WELL, at least I can say we were there.

Dale
with Red Undies
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Schnebley Reply with quote

A rocky mess that doesn't present much of a challenge is a good description of the terrain but I still thought this was a fun trail. Disclaimer: this was the second trail I drove after finally getting an FJ - my first off-road capable vehicle.

I did this trail headed north from Sedona; took it all the way up to I-17. It is Pink Jeep's "Scenic Rim" tour destination which can definitely lead to some congestion. The trick to missing the pinks is timing. We embarked shortly before sunset (it was full dark by the time we got to I-17). The Pink Jeeps will be back in Uptown Sedona by sunset, so if you head out late in the day you won't encounter them.

I think this is a great trail for newbie drivers - not too difficult but definitely fun; stunning views; and an EXCELLENT trail to demonstrate the difference between running at full tire pressure and airing down.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Schnebley Reply with quote

You should do the HOTLOOP FR153A that goes from Schnebly hill rd, out to the edge of the cliff, and back to Schnebly. Now THAT's a view.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Schnebley Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
You should do the HOTLOOP FR153A that goes from Schnebly hill rd, out to the edge of the cliff, and back to Schnebly. Now THAT's a view.

Did that one on my way back from Ouray (we made good time so threw a little wheeling detour in on the way home). Absolutely spectacular. Definitely the best view of Sedona that you'll find outside of an airplane/helicopter
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Schnebley Reply with quote

So ummmm, you may start to notice that " just a mess of sharp rocks" pretty much sums up most offroad areas in AZ. Kindof why having decent tires is important.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
cytocycle
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Schnebley Reply with quote

I just drove fast over everything and left a dust storm behind me since I have windows rolled up and recirculate in my truck Smile going 2-3x the speed of others gives me plenty of time at the scenic overlooks. Love my tires/suspension setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: