Monday, December 11, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AzRon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1993

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 80
Total: 80
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode"
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode"
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

For those that are not on FB and have been asking about my trailer build here are a few pics. For phase I there will likely not be a complete electical system for budget reasons. I have an H20 tank but the cost to add a pump, plumbing, and propane heater is cost prohibitive at the moment. If for some reason I get a tax refund then maybe I will have the funds for that. I am calling the trailer Beast Mode. Yes, Seattle blew it in the Super Bowl.... #2 will have to do this year....

Rob from PMA4x4 built the main box and 3 out of 5 door frames.

Roof Rack nearly complete.

Learning to weld!

Behind the 1Louder mean machine...

The status of the build as of 2/8/15 is as follows:
I am hoping to have Phase I finished by the end of March.

All electrical items for phase 1 including lights, breakaway box, and 7 pin conversion for the FJ are here and need to be installed.

Finishing the doors is next. Have to build 2 more frames and figure out the piano hinges and latches. The side utility doors will be supported buy cables so they can act as small shelfs when open.

Prime and paint all of the interior framing and apply Monstaliner to the green portions of the original trailer.

Build the kitchen drawers for the back and shelving for the inside of the trailer. If I can find attractive pricing on some durable sheet I may use that for the shelves. TBD.

Figure out the cut plan for the sheeting and application process.

Interior framing for side storage and internal storage for spare parts.

Trailer front was "45'd" for a cleaner look.

My long winded build thread is here: www.expeditionportal.c...d-Takeover
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looking real good Chris!
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looking very good!
pazzo_fj
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looking really good!

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Awesome project! Theres a lot of challenge in grafting new onto old and this is coming along nicely. Congrats!

Good choice on the torsion axle.

When you diced up the trailer, did you have any surprises? Was it flat? Did you have any rust issues?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the finished product... Are you going to color match to the FJ?
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Awesome project! Theres a lot of challenge in grafting new onto old and this is coming along nicely. Congrats!

Good choice on the torsion axle.

When you diced up the trailer, did you have any surprises? Was it flat? Did you have any rust issues?

There are a couple of small gaps on the platform where the box rests but it is minimal and I should be able to seal all of that with the be liner. No major rust issues. Just some surface rust in a couple of places. A friend of mine has a garage with the mechanics hole in it so I may bring the trailer over there some day and really clean the bottom of it off to check for any rust. We will see.

I didn't do the conversion of the old brake system and pintle hitch removal. All of that was done by the previous owner. I paid $600 for the trailer with all of that work done and felt it was a pretty fair price. The axle was around $600 plus labor to put it on. It's the same axle used on the Turtleback Trailers.

I have never attempted anything like this before. It has been a lot of fun. My new job has allowed me the time to research everything and have weekends off to beg friends for help!
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

yotes65 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the finished product... Are you going to color match to the FJ?

Pretty sure I am going to paint it white. If I ever decide to sell it I want a simple color. Subject to change of course once I get all the sheeting installed.

That's something I have no clue on how to do. I know I want to wrap the sheet over the top rails and possibly the door areas. I have to figure out how to do the cuts for the door areas. I may pay someone to do this so they are properly done. I am less worried about the top and front since they are just solid pieces of sheet.
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looks good. You'll be able to carry enough camping gear for the whole group Rolling Eyes.

okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Looking good! There is a shop called Erling Fabrication over there off of the 17 & desert valley area that can make you a lid bent out of one sheet of steel/alum and you just have welds on the end caps, I think he only charged $50 to bend it, with us providing the steel/alum.

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

okiefj wrote:
Looking good! There is a shop called Erling Fabrication over there off of the 17 & desert valley area that can make you a lid bent out of one sheet of steel/alum and you just have welds on the end caps, I think he only charged $50 to bend it, with us providing the steel/alum.

Sounds interesting. When I get everything else done I will get a hold of you and try to check out what they offer. Not sure how you would secure the sides if it is a single box. Sounds nice and clean though. Also have to figure out all the cuts for the 5 doors but that probably isn't too difficult.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Have you considered aluminum composite paneling to skin the sides?

glideraz wrote:
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Have you considered aluminum composite paneling to skin the sides?

I was planning on using .050 6061 Aluminum sheet. Is composite something different?
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Weld or rivet the skins on. And you don't have to go thru me, just look up the place and give him a call. He has big toys in his shop and can do everything you need, and I understand price and you wanting to do it yourself, just trying to help a brotha out!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Louder Off Road Trailer "Beast Mode" Reply with quote

Aluminum composite involves aluminum sheets sandwiching a polymer core. It creates a light and rigid sheet material similat to how thin skins of fiberglass on a foam core makes a rigid surf board. Theres a number of types, weights and finishes. It can be drilled, bonded and joined with connectors like screws or bolts. I was considering it when I was thinking about building a camper.

Edit: here's a picture:

glideraz wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: