Friday, December 15, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jyoung
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1995

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 87
Total: 87
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Pine Canyon Trail, not to be confused with Pinery Canyon Rd (also in the Chiricahuas), is an old forest service/jeep trail linking Highway 181 with the national forest. This is a fun little trail with diverse scenery and good opportunities to see some wildlife. There are a few backcountry camping spots along the trail, and it eventually links up with the Methodist Camp area in the national forest.

Group Size:
We ended up with 8 trucks going through this area, which wasn't bad but will probably be one of the last large group camping trips for us. This can be a narrow trail in parts and the campsites along it are small. There are spots to pull off if you run in to someone else, but we saw no other traffic on this trail. Recommend groups of 5 or less.

Difficulty
2.0- There are several dry wash crossings along this trail which may require 4wd depending on conditions, but most of the trail can be run in 2wd. The area has heavy brush and low-hanging trees so pinstriping cannot be avoided. Lookout for fallen trees/logs on the trail.

Length
12 miles

Southeastern Arizona in the Chiricahua National Forest, southeast of Wilcox.

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures
Start of the trail

Wash crossings

Trail gets tight with lots of brush and trees

Eventually the trail turns into an African safari-type scene with giant trees that may block your path

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
Chiricahua Mountains Expedition

GPS Track

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

This is a GREAT trail for wildlife watching. I saw a bear, caught a good look at a huge herd of antelope, and lots of wild gobbles!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

I need to get down there sometime, this area looks awesome. Didn't you guys do a few other trails in the area as well.
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

We did but don't have any tracks for them. Could probably trace out the one Mike led us on, but we figured he might have the data and would be doing the write-up for it....HINT HINT. Very Happy

Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

haha, no worries. I have no idea when I'll have time to head down there anyway. When I go, I'll have to bring my lappy with me.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

The loop we did with Mike was a LOT of fun. We definitely need to map that out so others can do it if they like.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
PSFAN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

looks like a fun place to visit
Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

What was the elevation, ie does it get alot of snow.

Mod3rn
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Are there any good Chiricahua trails that lead higher up the mountain? Heading down there with family this weekend and wanted to find a good fun run up the mountain.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Go to the national monument. Take the road to the top. Load up on water, snacks, etc, then hike the 3 Mi loop trail. You will like it a lot. There is a road that leads all the way over the mountain to Rattlesnake Park, then down to portal through Rucker Canyon (Which has a good camping area). I remember that was quite scenic, but that was before the big fire. It may be a moon scape up there now. (But not from the NM) it's further south.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
BitCrazy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Looks fun
Mod3rn
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. Is the road to the top fun (part of the experience) or is it mostly maintained?
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Canyon Trail (Chiricahuas, Az) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Mostly maintained but not sure how far you can go up. The Horseshoe 2 fire in 2011 did some pretty good damage to the area. Rustler Park is at the top but is now closed after being wiped out.

www.fs.usda.gov/recare...0&actid=29

www.nps.gov/chir/natur...e-2011.htm

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: