Sunday, April 30, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 72
Total: 74
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jimbolio > Forums
02: MudBoat > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Greasy Spoon is a bumpy trail that has the typical spectacular Sedona views and several fun steep incline/decline areas.
- As of this review I've only done a portion of the trail. From what I've been told everything beyond what you see in the trail pictures and kml file is flat easy going terrain. We only did the "fun" parts on this trip. The full trail to much longer. I'll update this post with new info when I have the time to finish it. Someone please correct me if any of this is incorrect.

Difficulty
2.5 - As always highly subjective, but I felt the steep incline/decline areas warranted 4x4 a must. My mostly stock FJ had no problems with this trail. My trail armor rubbed a few places I had fun in, but other stock vehicles didn't have any issues with clearance.

Length
I'm not sure what the full length of the trail is, but the portion we ran was about 3 Miles from the point at which we turn off of Red Canyon Rd to the point which we turned around (the end of the fun stuff).

Greasy Spoon starts 2.7 Miles from 89A off of Red Canyon Rd in Sedona, AZ. See google maps link below for starting point.
GOOGLE MAPS LINK

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures

Most of the Trail looks like this and isn't difficult, just bumpy.

Several portions of the trail do have steep incline/decline areas with steps.

GPS Track
See attached gpx file (can be opened with google earth!)

Last edited by Mr_R2FJ on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Very nice! I have not done this one... I love Sedona!!! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Itanius
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

It's dry, and there's no snow! Wink

I haven't been to Sedona yet at all... let alone for a trail run. This one looks great!

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

It snowed RIGHT after we left greasy spoon. Check the sedonafest gallery you'll seen plenty.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

That's a much better file format you're using for the .kml, much lighter. I need to change mine!

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

FYI the newest version of garmin mapsource TOPO will open tracks directly in google earth and then you can save them in KML from there if you want. It may be light due to my older garmin 120 and the fact that I've never changed the settings on it.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I have a Magellan unit that uses a crazy # and $ delimited text file format... I was converting the files either with my own program or with GPS Babel but was including heading, speed, altitude, time, date, etc data on every single point instead of just the lat/long for the track.

check out my BLOG

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Nice pics, looks like a good time...!

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Ran it today. Lots of interesting hill climbs and descents. Saw a ton of Pink Jeeps. Fun trail. Actually used 4 Low for parts of it.
Grinder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

We hit this trail on Saturday with all of the rain and mud. It was a great trip. My sister and nephew didn't care for it though, so we didn't get to hit Soldier Pass and Broken Arrow. I was bummed about that, but this trail was all sorts of fun on its own!

Ccarter05
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Did this trail sunday and had a great time with our group.
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

SEDONA!
SEDONA!
SEDONA!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
DWTrav
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasy Spoon (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

The locals call this Diamond Back Gulch by the way, maintained by the Red Rock guys, one of my favorite trails next to Crack Axle Canyon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: