Thursday, April 26, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 108
Total: 108
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Land Use › Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting
Meetings, access issues, cleanups, news, land use info.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Good to meet some new peeps today and found it interesting to see Officals and group leaders trying to hash it out. But seems the "trail" that we were there for had been turned into a gravel road and it would take a million years to fix it, I ain't got that kind of time! So it was kicked around to just abandon the idea of a "repair" and barter for a trail or trails that had been closed previously as a resolution! I'm not sure that will fly, and by all rights they don't have to really bend over to please our small community and open them up. They have bigger problems, which probably doesn't include making us happy. I feel that what I saw today at Woodpecker will probably remain that way for a year or two, unless someone knows someone who can really pull the trigger, rather than talk about it! On that note, it was a beautiful place, that I had never been to, glad I got to see it before the asphalt got poured.

I think Jeff Prince will be a big help to our little world. He seems like a straight shooter and knows what he's talking about. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with a good idea to tap into that grant money. Here's one... Pink FJ Tours, we take at-risk kids four wheeling and teach them about nature and how to survive in the wild! Bear Grylls would be the spokesperson of course! J/k
But that would be cool!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

okiefj wrote:
I think Jeff Prince will be a big help to our little world. He seems like a straight shooter and knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. AZFJ members are welcome to kick me in the crotch* if I ever lie about what my program is doing, the game plan I am setting in motion, or how Parks invests your OHV dollars.

*lies about fish caught, ladies swoon, or the performance value of KLR modifications I have made do not qualify for this offer Smile
My1stJeep
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Thank you all for attending, posing questions, showing support of any kind with this effort.

At this moment the access is complete. They extracted materials and they are being tested to see if the claim is viable enough to develop the claim. If it is, then they are going to be mining it and not sure what that does for continued access. My guess is since they have already destroyed the trail, rather then make another cut into the landscape they may just coninue using it.

According to the BLM and Francisco what was done was way beyond what was agreed upon. The BLM is investigating and based on the outcome could end up giving fines, restoration and even up to jail time is possible.

As for gate keepers Francisco was talking about the possible installation of filters along the trail, not sure what good those will do, but it is open for discussion. A filter and the beginning and end of a trail woul dnot be a bad idea, but adding them in the middle???

There was alot of discussion for the need to document the key focal points on the trail so they can be preserved. While this is a nice to have it would not have stopped the destruction that occurred here on UW. The suggestion/request is that the BLM must implement a process on how to handle these items as they come up in a better fashion and if access is going to be granted through our trails we MUST be invited to the meetings. Simply documenting the items on this trail we wanted preserved would not have changed the outcome.

There is a chance that some of the rocks and obstacles have just been covered over, possibly making some changes to the path for the waterflow might help naturally wash the changes away, but that is going to take decades to do. Having the miner or BLM use equipment to remove much of what was done to pave it was also discussed. The resolution is going to be defined after the investigation is completed. I have asked Francisco to get us a ETA on when the investigation will be completed.

When talking with Francisco the BLM only agreed they could access it through UW, they would take existing bypasses and it would not include a paved road. Obviously that is not what happened. Them main deciding factor was that any other access path would take them too long, such as going in around where UW and H2H meet, however it was agreed that it would be much less of an impact not only on our trails, but the environment as well. The BLM stance is they only have 10 days to react to a claim notice and provide input, the issue we all felt appalled at was that according to Francisco when it comes to mining claims they don't have to follow NEPA so they get away with stuff like this. We all called hogwash (ok so we used more colorful terms that would get this mod banned for posting...LOL). The response was that we need the BLM to put in place in their procedures a standard to be followed when it comes to mining claims, that the path that creates the least impact on the environment and current travel management plan must be followed. So if the miner has to drive an extra hour, but it creates less impact of developing a road for a Prius to drive down then that is what it means. We cannot have people destroying our trails just to cut down on the time to get to the claim.*

Most who were there agreed this trail is lost and will never be retored to what it was. We are looking at other options, some of which I am not at liberty to discuss on here at this time, we will be having a meeting of the OHV community to bring the possible options we have come up with and discuss to create a proposal to present to the BLM that best represents the OHV community. If anyone has suggestions please let us know, we want any and all ideas.

The pictures show much of the destruction of the trail, if anyone has pictures of the access paths that were cut along the sides of portions of the trail please post them, it is devastating what they did to the plants and areas along the trail side.

To Do List

1. So from this meeting we all agreed we need to meet within the OHV community to develop a response and proposed resolution.
2. We want the BLM to develop a better process of notification when a conflict of user types occurs.
3. We want the BLM to implement a standard for claims access that will be uniform and grant access via the path that does the least destruction to the environment as well as the current travel plan including existing trails.

Did I miss anything from those who attended?

AZOHVC 4x4 Representative www.azohvc.com
4 Bangers Rule!!!
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

No Cookies! That is all!

Keep it posted for the next one!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Did anyone from the Tucson BLM or any BLM rep go look at the access while it was being cut? My guess is no so my suggestion would be to get out of the air conditioned office, go out to the field and do their job. You cannot manage land from a desk.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

True dat! The gold miner was not supervised, so he did what he wanted to!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
R00tless
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

AZstateParksOHV wrote:
okiefj wrote:
I think Jeff Prince will be a big help to our little world. He seems like a straight shooter and knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. AZFJ members are welcome to kick me in the crotch* if I ever lie about what my program is doing, the game plan I am setting in motion, or how Parks invests your OHV dollars.

*lies about fish caught, ladies swoon, or the performance value of KLR modifications I have made do not qualify for this offer Smile

It was great meeting you guys out there Saturday. Also, I will second what okiefj said. Hopefully we can gather some support and get the "communication highway" flowing so that we can prevent things like this from happening in the future.
I was the guy in the green 4runner btw. I also happen to own an 08 FJC.
R00tless
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of the new roads that were cut right next to the trail.

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Wait one minute...they destroyed the trail AND built a road???

Poor desert turtles...
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker OHV users Needed for on site meeting Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:
Wait one minute...they destroyed the trail AND built a road???

Poor desert turtles...

Yep and the BLM had their heads up their ass the whole time. Rolling Eyes

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Land Use All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: