Friday, June 22, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: JohnnyOutlaw
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2027

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 125
Total: 126
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Splagg > Home

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

skiutah1080 wrote:
If I buy his 16s and go with 285/75/16s total price wise I'll be the same if I stick with my 17s and go 285/70/17...

Not seeing what the problem is. 16" With 75 will give you more sidewall. The difference in diameter between the two isn't enough to notice. So you are at a point of just making a choice.

I personally have 285/70/17's on my truck, but when it comes time for new tires I will be looking for some 16" steelies and going that route.

All I can say is buy......HANKOOK..... Laughing

Last edited by FatRat on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
skiutah1080
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

See, I think you can definitely call me a noob when it comes to all those measurements. Maybe that's why only 1 set of tires comes in a 285/70/16...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
skiutah1080
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Buy Hankook? The ones I saw on Discount Tire are 220 a piece, whereas the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar are 240 a piece but come with an $80 mail in rebate so essentially the same price as the Hankook...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

skiutah1080 wrote:
Buy Hankook? The ones I saw on Discount Tire are 220 a piece, whereas the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar are 240 a piece but come with an $80 mail in rebate so essentially the same price as the Hankook...

Unless you buy 5. $80 rebate is $20 a tire for 4. Hankook better price for 5. Now spare matches.

Hankook is better...IMO,

but you WILL get varying opinions here as well
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Did you factor in our friend at discount and the help he gives us? Of course you'll get some hook-up from him no matter which tire you go with, but he's accustomed to doing the Hankooks. I don't know about the Goodyear MT's, they look like a great tire, but I do know for certain that the Hancook MT is a great tire. I'm on my second set. There was no debate when it was time for new tires. Let it ride, four more of the same.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
skiutah1080
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Yeah, so essentially I'd be paying $20 more for a set of 5 goodyear MTs.
How much of a discount is it normally? I saw that thread and was going to give him a call this week and see what he quoted me...

VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

I Use 255 / 85 / 16 BFG Km2 I Like The Taller profile ..So Does my atrc !!

conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

ohh snap, now we just opened the pizza cutter can of worms...

I wouldn't mind trying that on my truck, but I hate to be the guinea pig... and there is the whole, what happens if I get a 2nd flat thing, who's gonna lend me a tire..

KF7YII
Hoanbosai
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Im assuming everyone knows how to figure out the tire sizes? just incase heres a quick way of comparing one tire to the next. Especially once you compare 17->16inch rims. So ima try my best to break it down real fast most im sure already know all this but just in case

for formula example using a 285/70R17
285mm is the width, 70 is the aspect ratio which is % width and equals sidewall height to width so for this tire its 70%
*forumala is Width x % = sidewall So 285 x .70 = 199mm(sidewall height)
*There is 25.4mm in 1inch
Now to get the Entire set up height(close) we know a 17in rim = 431.8mm of height and we will add the side wall height 199mm x 2 which will give us 829.8mm of possible theoretical height(variance in rim and tire flex/inflation) so 829.8/25.4 = 32.6inches so now we know your total tire height. Now! lets compare some more tires for fun and see the difference between overall heights in 16 and 17":

-285/70R17 has 199mm sidewall, 32.6in height
-285/75R16 has 213mm sidewall, 32.7in height
-255/85/R16 has 216.75mm sidewall, 33.0in height
-285/75R17 has 213.75mm sidewall, 33.7in height

Now, at most there is only a .5 inch difference between all of those in rideheight and a 1inch difference in total tire diameter. So not a huge gain so at this point honestly its about price/fitment as your gaining so little. Another huge point is that the max sidewall difference is barely over half a inch also.

*edit figured id toss in the wider is not always better set of tires also that seem popular:

-295/70R17 has 206.5 sidewall, 33.25in height
-305/70R17 has 213.5 sidewall, 33.8in height
-315/70R17 has 220.5 sidewall, 34.3in height

Now.. 295 your getting minimal height and 305 is about same as 285 you really have to jump to the 315 to justify any height increase and at that point your gaining over a inch width compared to the 285... I did those all on 17s but just subtract 1 inch from overall height and youll have your 16in of the same width/AspectRatuio

I went with 285/75 for the extra sidewall running shity alum 17s however if I had 16s id be very happy running the inch shorter and having the same sidewall.

*shrug* hopefully not confusing for anyone who didn't know but maybe helped someone out. Its easy stuff to figure out and if you need help tons of online guides/info etc.. at work we often use: www.1010tires.com/tire...ulator.asp when we are checking clearances and worst case fitments for test purposes as it is a awesome tool/

Edit: I use Metric for most anything usually... its the only one that makes any sence and I hate standard, but for comparison I used metric to show what side was as its much closer/smaller difference and inches to show overall tire size as its what people are used to hearing.. *shrug* potatoes potatoes

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Units are units... it's all good.

The most important thing to know about tire sizes is that there's significant brand to brand/model to model variation for the same "size", and most measure smaller than the numbers would suggest.

Use the indicated sizes to group tires into families for your consideration, but if you're going to get close to contact points and you don't already know that a given tire fits, then nothing substitutes for a real world test.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Units are units... it's all good.

The most important thing to know about tire sizes is that there's significant brand to brand/model to model variation for the same "size", and most measure smaller than the numbers would suggest.

Use the indicated sizes to group tires into families for your consideration, but if you're going to get close to contact points and you don't already know that a given tire fits, then nothing substitutes for a real world test.

Doc FTW, once again.
Real world observation- 305-65-17 with BD BMC, 3" icon lift, camburg A-arms, on 9" pro comp rims, 4.5" backspace, only rubs very little on full drivers turn on decline. Only hits the bolts from the mudflaps i have since removed, well the tires removed the flaps but I removed the bolts. Well, might have been a rock, or rocks, well I'm sure ya'all get my drift.

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...255,000 miles
Hoanbosai
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

^^ Very true sir! I just got back from working out so too lazy to do very many but heres a couple quick differences in the same size on different models of Nittos(ima nitto fan boy what can i say)
Most manufactors websites list "tire specs" for all their tires and you can get the exact tread width sometimes even section width from there.

A real quick example I did size 285/70R17 on 2 different Nittos:
(AT)Terra Grappler: 11.50in width 32.76height
(MT)Trail Grappler: 11.81in width 33.15height

Same "size tire" yet 1/4" difference in width and height, this is pretty much the normal though comparing a AllTerrain to a Mud/Trail tire. Also if its a P rated 4ply verses a LT5-10ply the size my be different as well.. for example same size 285/70R17 Terra Grappler in "P" instead of "LT" is: 33.72/11.46, minute difference but just goes to point at what BellyDoc sais nothing substitutes for a real world test.

*now thats manufactor specs... reality may be slightly different.

FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Ok, now you're making my head hurt

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...255,000 miles
skiutah1080
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Me too! I think I'm going to go with the goodyear kevlars. Probably will pick up the 16" off road package rims and do a 285/75/16. Seems like a viable option!

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size options for 3" Stage 1 Icon lift? Reply with quote

Yea.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: